Citizens of Tomorrow
“Middle school is an adventure not a School.”
Curriculum I Methodology I Evaluation and Assessment I Activities
The school is affiliated to the CBSE under the 10+2 scheme of education. It provides learning experiences for its students in English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Mathematics, Science, Environmental Studies and Social Science upto class X. Apart from offering the core subjects at all levels, the school offers a range of languages namely German and French, to choose from as third language other than English, Hindi and Sanskrit from classes V to VIII. Each year, our teachers and administration reflect upon and refine our curriculum to ensure we are meeting the needs of students. Just as our world and our students are ever-evolving, our teaching practices evolve. Alongside the academic subjects the regular activity of the school includes offered as separateclass-periods:
- Sports(indoor and outdoor)
- Social studies
- Art and craft
- General Knowledge
- Computer science/Artificial Intelligence/Product Designing
- Life Skills-in-Education (LIE): Different methods that are used to enhance Life Skills in students are: Worksheets, Class discussions, Brainstorming Role plays, Special Assembly based on Life Skills topics, Case studies, Storytelling, Debates etc.
- Library Reading in Education (LRIE): Class Library and the exhaustive School library is a regular period for students and diligently carried out. A Library card is issued to keep ensuring that the students are taking and reading books. The Library ensures stock-up of books and Students!
- Theatre-in-Education (TIE)- Dramatics and enactment is integrated with language study as well as sciences, social sciences, mathematics and information technology. Theatre-in-Education (TIE) is a programme that comprises of role-play/ dramatics performances linked with the concept/subject of study. These are facilitated by the performers/teachers using a variety of techniques. It’s usually less concerned with imparting factual knowledge and more concerned with exploring sensitive issues. The major focus of TIE is to perform creative, curriculum based and participatory plays in schools specially designed and prepared for children of different age groups. The major thrust of the plays is to create an atmosphere to encourage children, to raise questions, make decisions and choices with an awareness of themselves within larger society.
- Art-in-Education (AIE)- Integration of creative art and craft skills to understand, analyze and express the concepts in all the other disciplines like languages, mathematics, science & social science. This concept of AIE uses the visual arts to teach concepts of social studies, science, language, arts and math curricula. It is also an Ideal cross-disciplinary experience for visual arts teachers who want to integrate the arts into other disciplines or for non-arts teachers who want to venture into the world of art. These activities can be a part of visual art class or assigned as homework or in-class assignments in other disciplines.
Our aim is to educate young people to lead safe and healthy lives and achieve great success. Studying cultural education subjects, such as art and design, dance, drama and music, sparks creativity across the curriculum, encouraging young people to be inquisitive, disciplined and determined. Wherever children start in life, high-quality skill based cultural education becomes their right, not a privilege.
Developing academic and social-emotional skills for success in future learning
In the Middle School, we strive to bring our mission to life for our grade 5 through 8 students so that they have the academic skills and the social-emotional skills needed for success in future learning and life. By providing a nurturing environment and strengthening their community, we can know each student as an individual and help them develop independence, a willingness to take action, an ability to reflect upon their own learning, and gain an appreciation for others.
Small classes and caring, experienced staff make all the difference
Their teachers are all subject area specialists and have extensive teaching experience, excellent credentials and qualifications. Collaboration among our teachers ensures that students can see the connections between concepts, other subjects, and the real world.
By keeping our Student-Teacher Ratio optimum and enriching, our teachers plan more engaging and hands-on activities for students, more field trips, and take advantage of special teaching opportunities that arise.
Evaluation and Assessment
DWPSNE prides in creating challenging framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world through its Six Stupas create pathways to exploration
We believe that a well-rounded education leads to a well-rounded individual, ready to take advantage of opportunities in a changing world. The ‘Six Stupas create pathways to exploration’ at DWPSNE become the pathways that our students develop their academic and personal skills, as well as connect classroom learning to the greater world:
- Academic Excellence,
- Community and Service,
- Art and Culture amalgamation,
- International Understanding,
- Experiential Learning
- Outdoor Education.
These Six Stupas create pathways to exploration are integrated into the Assessment and Evaluation our students experience and lie at the heart of who we are.
The Students are formally assessed through a uniform system. The system divides an academic year into two terms and the criteria are
- Periodic Test (PT)
- Notebook Submission (NBS)
- Subject Enrichment Activity (SEA)
- Term I/Term II
Chapter activities are a key component of running a successful chapter. We ensure that the students get to the micro and macro level understanding of the concept learnt. Teachers at DWPSNE ensure that there is a Concept-based activities for every chapter covered. This ensures active-involvement of the learner and breaks monotony in-between studies.
Few real-time activities that a Middle school student in DWPSNE experiences are:
- Make a Website for chapter
- Educational Visits and Tours:
- Scrapbook Making
- Model and Project –Science and Technology
- Lab sessions
- Brain Games
- Blogs, Wikis
And the list goes on as we progress. DWPSNE boasts about the teachers for their constant up gradation and updating with new technology and ideas. The newness is the CORE of the dynamism that is present in the activities conducted in the classroom. The regular Physical Education and Art Integration based activities ensures a constant round the year healthy regime and aesthetic developmental cycle of the ever-enthusiastic teenagers.
Finally, a Middle Schooler @ DWPSNE is ensured to be
- Actively participating in physical, intellectual and social development through the plethora of opportunities.
- Aware of Constitutional values such as Socialism, Secularism, Democracy, Republican character, Justice, Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, Human dignity of Individual and the Unity and Integrity of the Nation via value-based learning activities
- Exposed to Life-Skills by prescribing curricular and co-curricular activities
- Intellectually capable of understanding Sustainable environmental education.
- Completed in his/her acquisition of 21st Century Skills.
- A well-rounded futuristic citizen and valuer of Arts.
- A Promoter of Co-operative learning, Collaborative Learning, Self-directed learning.
- Equipped with authentic Assessments based on real world tasks involving meaningful application of knowledge and skills;
- A digital citizen with innate responsibility and literacy of emerging technologies.
Identified as ‘lifelong’ learners’ able to extend and develop knowledge beyond school career.